Saturday, October 9, 2010

Things Learned....

Over the past month I have learned a lot about becoming a parent. As a child I had multiple baby dolls and always dreamed of being a mother. Except, when I was younger, I had unrealistic dreams of being a mother. My dolls never cried, never had REAL dirty diapers, they slept all the time, they didn't need fed every 2-3 hours, and when I was done playing with them, they were fine in the corner for days without being bothered. Here are 10 things I've learned that last month:

1. Being on time now means showing up atleast 10 mins late no matter how hard I try

2. Bathroom time (showering, shaving, brushing teeth, washing face...) is no longer a priority

3. There is no such thing as a quick trip anywhere. (Even a "quick trip" to the post office becomes a drawn out process. It takes an extra 5 minutes just to load and unload baby because I can't leave her in the car even though I could be in and out by the time I get her out)

4. Never take eating for granted....I have a hard time finding time to eat, much less finding time to eat my extra 500 calories I need for breastfeeding

5. I've learned to eat, type, cook, dial phone with one hand. Not to mention use my toes to change the TV channel while feeding Hannah.

6. Never forget diapers or an extra change of clothes when you go somewhere!

7. Hannah's laundry will never be finished

8. There is nothing you can do for a screaming baby when they are in the backseat and you are trying to focus on driving

9. Sleep...I think that's what Conrad does at night

10. Like mother, like daughter....I hated sleeping when I was a baby and fought sleep like a champ...so naturally, Hannah is the same way.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. I remember the newborn times. Babies really are so much easier when they are not your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you know why my house is never clean and laundry is never done...enjoy the moments with your children because one day they will be gone and you dont just want a clean house to show for it...make memories and cherish them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to smile about so many of these...but mainly the idea that bathroom duties are no longer a priority and changing the channel with your toes. Yep...been there done that. Thanks for making me smile!

    I'm learning that the dishes will still get done, the laundry will get washed, and the family will get fed...it may just be a few hours later than planned. :)

    ReplyDelete