Well it happened....I had my first breakdown last night. Hannah started getting fussy around 7:30pm. So naturally I thought she was hungry and she ate. Well the fussiness turned to crying which turned into mad fullout screaming. This went on for several hours going in and out of being fussy, crying, screaming, trying to fall asleep, then starting all over again. Conrad and I took turns trying to console her. We checked her diaper (clean), gave her a bath (clean), checked her temp (98.4), tried to feed her (full and not interested). She had been up for a while and I knew she was exhausted but she likes to fight sleep ALOT! She also had not had a dirty diaper in a while which led us to believe she had an upset tummy (probably from something I ate that she got in my milk) :( Well at about 10:30pm I looked at Conrad and said "Please go get Mylicon drops" (I did say please). Once he left, I tried feeding her again and she was not interested in the least. Did I mention I had a migraine at this point? Well I did and it didn't help that I had a screaming baby in my ear. I sat down in the rocking chair and just started crying right along with her. I think hearing me cry helped her because for once in the last hour she stopped crying. It was that or it was God answering my prayer because through my tears I was praying that she would just go to sleep. Well she stopped crying for about 30 mins while Conrad drove to every pharmacy in Yukon to find Mylicon....apparently we weren't the only family needing it b/c everyone was out. We gave her some mylicon and by 12:30am she was asleep and peacefully sleeping. She slept the rest of the night, got up to eat, and went back to sleep without crying. Today she is doing great and am praying that there will be no more gas issues...atleast for tonight. Again I have to say that Conrad is an amazing dad and husband. Through all the crying Hannah and I did, he kept telling me what a great job I do as a mom and kept telling Hannah how much he loved her too.
PS- I did call her pediatrician first thing this morning and she comforted me, telling me not to worry that she didn't think it was colic, but said it was probably gas and something I ate that hurt her tummy.
PS- I did call her pediatrician first thing this morning and she comforted me, telling me not to worry that she didn't think it was colic, but said it was probably gas and something I ate that hurt her tummy.
OH dear...I have JUST been in those days! Alivia is one that likes to fight sleep. We figured out that if we didn't catch her at JUST the right moment, and let her go "too far," then she was literally unconsolable until she got it all out. I finally figured out that if I would just lay her down right beside me and let her cry for just a minute or two (all the while talking to her in soothing voices and keeping a hand on her) that she would "get it out" and then I could hold her again and she'd be better. (And yeah, hers was gas too, cuz when I would pick her up and get her to sleep she would let the gas out! :))
ReplyDeleteI've done LOTS of the crying thing too right along with her. I promise you, even though there is no cord there, I really believe we're still attached!
HUGS...she may do this again (and again!) but it will get better!
And one more thing...Conrad ROCKS to go out that late and search for it! Terry has done things like that multiple times and it is such a BLESSING to have a husband willing to help out so readily and to be positive doing it! Kudos to Conrad!
ReplyDeleteI know we haven't seen or talked to each really since OC but I saw your post on Facebook and couldn't not say I understand. I have a 7 week old and I can count on one hand the few nights he's had like that, but I think that makes it all the worse for me when he does. Before I had him a lady I attend church with shared a DVD with me called "The Happiest Baby on the Block". It has been a life saver on those few nights. I wish I had the DVD to let you borrow. It's absolute incredible. There is a website www.happiestbaby.com, with excerpts and things to watch and read. You can also go on youtube. The pediatrician, Dr. Karp, is AMAZING! Seriously a miracle worker with colic/crying babies. The few times I've had to use his technic with Ryker, he has clamed down and fallen asleep in about 30 seconds. Anyways, I think it's worth checking out. Congrats.. She's beautiful.
ReplyDelete