Conrad gave me Peanut as a Christmas present about 1.5 years before we were married. We didn't know it at the time, but Peanut was born with a rare blood disease. We found that out when he was neutered, and we almost lost him then. The disease is eventually what would take his life. He passed away without pain, but all too sudden and too soon. Conrad told me that God gave us Peanut because he knew that NO ONE would love him, care for him, or treat him the way we would and did.
Throughout the whole process, we could not have asked for a better vet. Peanut basically lived with him for 2 months after he was neutered and Dr. Gray told us he loved Peanut like his own. Even the night before Peanut died, he took Peanut to his house to watch him over night. He kept us updated throughout the night, and hated to tell us the bad news. One of the last things he told us before we left the vet the next day was "I'm sorry I wasn't good enough." However, he was great! I can never thank him and his staff enough for the way we were treated, but more importantly, the way they treated Peanut. I am so thankful for him and that God gave us him as a vet.
Peanut was not just a dog, he was our family and one of our kids. Those of you that don't like pets or don't have pets, you won't understand or ever understand what I am talking about when I say pets are family. There is no way to express the love I have for Peanut and will always have. He was the best dog in the world, the best snuggle dog in the world, dispite his love for paper and shredding things :) We have gotten Peanut cremated, so he will always be with us. There are already things I miss about him being around, and I still find myself checking the blankets on the couch to make sure I dont sit on him. My kitchen floor has been a lot dirtier the last few days because I am not used to picking up things I drop because he was an instant vacuum. Our house alarm has gone off more, because we are used to turning it off to let him out the back door in the morning, but since we don't do that in the morning we often forget to turn off the alarm before we walk out the door. The hardest part was getting rid of all his toys, treats, food, blankets, and bowls. It made the whole thing more real for us. Hannah has even noticed him not around. She loved to watch him run around the house, play with his toys, and chase him in the backyard. Yesterday she even went to his picture, pulled it off the shelf, and started "talking" to him and patting him. Funny, how even at a young age they noticed when things change. She was so sweet when she would see me cry she would try to pop my tears running down my face. Without her, this whole process would be even harder. She has kept a smile on my face, and kept me busy to not think about it so much.
This whole process has made me think of Ecclesiates 3. 3:1 reads-There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. Peanuts season is now over and there is a new season in our lives (Hannah). The pitter patter of Peanut running around the house, will soon be replaced by Hannah running around. Peanut running around the backyard will soon be replaced by Hannah playing and running in the backyard. Even the food I drop on the floor while cooking will no longer be picked up by Peanut, but by Hannah as she crawls all around and follows me wherever I go..so its inevitable. Don't think I just leave food for her to purposely find. Peanuts season is now in heaven. I never knew Conrad's grandpa, but I hear that he was a very special man....Conrad said that Peanut will love sitting in his grandpa's lap and I totally think that is what he does each day. Our season is taking care of Hannah and making sure that we love her and give her everything she needs.
We will never forget Peanut because his memories live in our hearts. It's getting easier to talk about but I don't think it ever gets easier losing someone you love and care so much about, no matter pet or human.












No comments:
Post a Comment